After 15 years of teaching Jujitsu and Karate, Russ thought it was about time to create a space that his students and friends can call their own, so he created Jarmesty Martial Arts, a centre of excellence where his students can practice in a safe environment.
We are a family academy at heart, based in applied Jujitsu, Karate and Self-Defence which has been tried and tested over Russ’s 15 year career as a doorman in Greater Manchester.
With his experience, we can take you through our syllabus from white to black belt.
We are housed in a 6000 square foot academy, with a second training room for hire, large reception and waiting area with refreshments.
With more than 200 students training within our academy and after school clubs each week including our very own WKKC World Champion Ireland 2014 Jak Brindle.
Since our tournament team have been on the circuit, the 1st place trophies have been coming in thick and fast in Kickboxing, MMA and Freestyle.
Everyone trains for different reasons in martial arts, from trying to obtain that covered black belt, or testing themselves in competitions and tournaments, to increasing their fitness levels, learning self-defence and naturally gaining confidence.
At JMA we open our door to everyone!
Who is Russell Jarmesty?
Russ runs the Jarmesty Martial Arts academy full time, teaching all ages and abilities. His laid back teaching and sense of humour make him a popular instructor, but at the heart of his teaching is practical unarmed combat skills that were tried and tested on the streets.
- Russ was featured on the cover and pages of Martial Arts Illustrated “Self-Defence Special Editions”
- Inducted into the Martial Arts Illustrated Hall of Fame in 2012, 2013 and 2014 due to his continued work and commitment in the field of martial arts.
- Worked as a doorman in Greater Manchester for 15 years, which has influenced his training methods incorporating ‘applied’ self-defence into the JMA training syllabus.
- Has taught in the local area for over 20 years, with over 200 students actively training each week.
- One of the UK’s most sought after Self-Defence Coaches, looking after many celebrities including the one and only Frank Bruno – see http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/frank-bruno-hires-karate-instructor-4078014
- Holds Dan grades in Karate and Jujutsu
- Teaches practical applied Jujutsu and street techniques and coaches kickboxing and MMA competitors
- Teachers include the great Trevor Roberts (8th Dan Hanshi)
He also co-owns online Martial Arts magazine Martial Arts Guardian.